Friday, July 15, 2016

Up for a crafting challenge?

Like any popular website with a big social element, Ravelry has its own traditions and special events. One of my favourites is the Ravellenic Games, held every two years to coincide with the winter or summer Olympics.

Ravellenics participants choose one or more projects that will be a personal challenge, and try to finish before the closing ceremony. The next Games are coming up in a few weeks beginning on the 5th of August, so if this sounds like fun you still have time to pick your projects. Joining a team is optional, but definitely adds to the fun in my opinion!

Last time around I crocheted a great big rainbow blanket:


I'm still super proud of it, and it's fantastic to have a real wool lap blanket in the lounge when it gets cold.

This time, I'm going to go big again and knit a Blank Canvas sweater. It's DK-weight, with 3/4 sleeves, and using a pattern I've knit before, so it shouldn't be impossible to finish in two-and-a-bit weeks (I hope). But it will still be a stretch for me, since I usually take ages to finish a garment. My plan is to halt all design-related knitting during the Games and concentrate on making myself a new comfy jersey. :)

Swatching ahead of time is encouraged (by analogy to 'training' for an event), so I've begun my quest to get my gauge correct. This is my first swatch in Madelinetosh Longrider DK, which I need to undo and knit again on smaller needles:


Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your plans to tackle a whole jumper.

    I'm thinking a lace weight shawl (Close to you) I think. I have some lovely hand dyed yarn in ochres from a local Gippsland dyer itching to hit the needles.

    And I have a half finished cardigan which needs some WIP wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good luck with your shawl! The yarn sounds just gorgeous. I have a half-finished short sleeved top, but I figure I've bitten off enough with the jumper. ;)

      Delete