Thursday, March 10, 2016

New pattern: Liquid Honey

So happy I can finally share this with all of you! Liquid Honey is my second pattern to be published in Knitty, and it's one I'm super proud of.
And that's not all... my face is on the cover of the Spring + Summer issue! I've been making 'cover girl' jokes all day, it's been quite surreal... :)


I love yellow, and I love knitting lace, and I'm totally fascinated by bees. Put it all together, and you get a sunny yellow shawl inspired by honeycomb dripping with honey. I thought its cheeriness would make it a great fit for Knitty, and a nice gift for my fellow knitters.



Features:
  • honeycomb lace with a zigzagging lace border
  • top-down triangular construction with garter-tab cast on
  • no special stitches: just knit, purl, single and double yarn-overs, k2tog, ssk 
  • a decorative picot bind off
  • requires 1.5 skeins of Malabrigo Lace (700yds of laceweight yarn)
  • suitable for solid or semi-solid colourways
  • one size: 63" wingspan, 29" along spine
  • both charted and written instructions. 

The main part of the shawl is very repetitive and intuitive to knit, perfect for an on-the-go or tv-knitting project. The edging requires a little more attention, and I do recommend using needles with nice sharp points, for example Addi Lace needles. They kept me sane!



Shout out to my best photographer Dad for doing the photoshoot with me, and finding all the summery-looking flowers in the garden and around the town. And another shout out to Mum & Dad's 'Fortune' plum tree for co-starring in the photos! Since then, the plums have ripened and been turned into a couple of dozen jars of sauces and jams. Go tree.



The pattern is available for free here at Knitty.com. Its Ravelry page is here.
You can also read my post from last September on the story of Knitty and me.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the cover of Knitty! Not only is your pattern delightful, I think it's because your happiness come through the photo that you're on the cover. It certainly made me smile! I've been in Knitty once (tried 3 times so far) and remember the excitement. Nice job and I am happy to have found your blog. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Found your beautiful shawl and pattern and am trying it. Just the tab alone I have tried 6 to 7 times due to confusion and found I've had to switch from left to right hand to accomplish all 8 pick ups. Not sure it's all right but seems right. I do have 10 stitches on one needle. I wish more detailed instructions were given for tab since it's not a simple knit and switch build. But thank you for this beautiful geometric accessory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you like the design. :)

      Garter tabs are fiddly, yes. Here's a photo tutorial in case it's helpful - there are also tutorials on Youtube if you prefer video instructions. http://westknits.com/index.php/2011/07/garter-tab-cast-on/

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    I'M having sooooooo much trouble with this pattern. My problem is with the body pattern part. I can't seem to return to the same number of stitches needed to continue to build pattern. What am I miss overstanding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oma Am! Can you please email me with more information about the problem you are having? E.g. do you have too many stitches or too few, and any other details. The link is at the very bottom of the Knitty pattern page - where it says 'Contact Amy'.

      Delete